Each morning we enjoyed Craig's signature bacon and eggs and ended each evening with a campfire and toasting marshmallows. The kids slept great and had us raring to go by 7am each day. There is just something about being out in the middle of the woods with your family taking a break from the all too consuming technology...tv, cell phones ect... We took hikes, swam in the fresh water lake, which brought back memories for Craig and I. Growing up both our Grandparents owned lake homes up in Northern Wisconsin and we both thought the smell of the lake was just the same. It was so refreshing! Bradley of course was obsessed with fishing. He thinks that's all camping is. That's all he wanted to do and it didn't matter that he didn't catch anything. I think he just likes the casting part. It was a constant "look mommy, watch me" "daddy, did you see how far I casted? "do you think I'll catch a fish now?"
It was so funny...camping in the 3 sites next to us was a whole family...some of those deep southern talkin folks. They had a ton of kids....I didn't know it at the time but 2 came over and I gave them some m&ms and oh my word they started coming out of everywhere! The 2 I'm sure ran back to tell the others and here they come. Everytime I brought the food out they were like... "can I have some of that?" Bradley played with them almost the whole time and by the end of the weekend he was copying their southern drawl to a tee. It was hysterical!! I was like..."where'd ya learn to talk like that?" We had to kindly shoo them away a few times because they just took ownership of our spot. It was a hoot to listen to their little lingo. I wish I could recap it all in a blog.
The squirrels were everywhere!! One time when we were coming back from swimming we seen a squirrel running off into the woods with a plastic bag and I was like "what was that?" Bradley starts screaming "THOSE ARE MY FAVORITE COOKIES!!!!" One of the little scavengers got into our backpack and stole his cookies. I told Bradley I'd get him some more and this morning he's still asking when I'm going to get his cookies. Was he that traumatized or just plain spoiled rotten? Hmmm......
I'd be lying if I told you that it wasn't at times hard work camping with two little ones but more than not it is relaxing and a great way to get good quality time together and it is so worth it just to enjoy all the precious moments of watching your children play and just focusing on them and each other without any distractions. So to all of you contemplating going, I'd say go for it!!! You won't regret it. Trust me I'm not fond of bugs, snakes and spiders in the sleeping bag either but if I can do, you can too!!!! Sometimes it's nice to just throw on a hat and no make up for a few days, but today I was glad to feel like a human again. Hey Jayne, if you are reading this... I bet I was a sight for sore eyes running threw Walmart like a wild animal with Bradley running behind me like a little banchy trying to keep up as I was buying food for our trip on Friday HA!



7 comments:
Okay, so I'm definitely interested! Sounds like a TON of fun! My microwave smores were good, but I'd be willing to give camping a REAL try I think!! Now I know the experts to consult!!
What a laugh Heidi! I've been checking all day long for a glimpse of your pictures and posting of your weekend fun. What a blast!! Next time you think about heading out, give us a call. We'll be the wild neighbors next door to you, but instead of stealing your food, we'll be asking for camping tips on setting up the tent and getting the fire started!! We'd love to get out into nature and make more great memories like this. Glad Bradley had a great time-did he catch any fish? Picture of you and the 2 munchkins is great! Thanks for sharing-and as for Wal-Mart, I'm sure I looked a sight too, and I wasn't going anywhere, just shopping for the day!
Heidi!! What FUN FUN FUN!! We can't wait to go camping with ya'll again! I'm sorry couldn't make it with ya'll this time....maybe this upcoming weekend?? :) I like Jaynes idea--lets all go together!!! I'm SOO glad that Bradley got to go fishing with his Daddy!! And I died laughing when you said that Alayna will just poop out the rocks!! Heidi--I just love you!! Now hurry up and get company free!! :)
Heidi, It sounds like you had a good time camping with the kids. Remember when I took you and your sisters to Camp Owen and what fun we had. Love those days. The pictures are worth a million words. Kiss and hug my little angels for me. Love the tar out of you guys. Love Gramma Cathy
Oh I love reading your Blogs Heidi :) Love you all~Auntie Colleen
Maybe, just maybe, we will have fun camping stories like these on day. Don't get too excited Sue, because right now I am content to smile as I read the adventures of the Boyer clan. So glad you have so many wonderful memories to take away from this trip:)
Hey Heidi-Love your page! Happy Birthday to Bradley!!! We have been counting down the days here with the girls!! Now they count down is to Aleighas b-day and their trip! They are so excited!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Post a Comment