Every Moment Matters....and we are thankful!!!!

1 Chonicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.

Monday, November 12, 2007

A Parent's Prayer

I came across this and thought it was such a good poem and a great reminder. Enjoy!! Here's to all you mommys who I know love your children dearly.
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6

They're only little once

Lord, grant me the wisdom to guide them down the path that their little feet should take.

For I know that they can never turn back and walk those paths with me again.

Give me the wisdom to guide their feet so that someday they'll be able to walk alone.

They're only little once.

Give me the time I need to enjoy them.

For I know that after they're grown, I'll never have another chance to tell stories and pretend at those tea parties.

I'll never have another chance to watch them in a school play or sing in church, or to see them catch that first fish or score that first goal or hit that first home run ball.

Give me the time in life's busy schedule to have fun with my children.

They're only little once.

Let me be a loving parent

Let me correct and not just punish, explain and not merely scold.

Let me know when to correct, and how often, and when it's best just to look the other way.

Help me be patient and give me a gentle hand to mold them into better people.

They're only little once.

Let me be a good teacher and an even better example.

Give me the right words and deeds to teach them.

Help me to teach them about You and how to walk in Your ways so when they are old, they will not depart from it.

For they are only little one time

Only innocent and trusting and pliable for a space of time, one minute in an eternity.

Let me do my best for them while I have the chance.

Amen

6 comments:

dandsratz said...

You know I'm printing that out!! I LOVED it!!! Don't we all need reminding of this very thing every now & then...they are only little once!

Katy said...

This is great - such a great reminder when we lose sight of the fact that they are only little once! :)

Heather J said...

OK Heidi, I've got tears rolling down my face. What a beautiful prayer. What a wonderful reminder our how important it is that we slow down and enjoy this crazy life of parenting.

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing Heidi - it is much needed encouragement at exactly the right time!

Natalie said...

Love this and it makes my heart melt. I just left Greyson's bed...we were all three snuggled up and saying prayers and telling silly stories. I love and treasure this time and this poem is perfect.

Jayne said...

That goes so perfectly along with the other blog I just read. It's so hard for me to remember that it's okay for the house, laundry, and a not-so-great meal to go by the wayside if it means that I steal away those moments with Grayson. Thanks for the reminder Heidi and sharing the poem!